DONNA (ValleyCentral) — Donna High Football Head Coach and Athletic Coordinator Mike Gonzales confirmed Monday evening the cancellation of the Donna High vs. Donna North varsity football game set to be played on Friday, August 27th to kick off the 2021 RGV high school football regular season.
The Donna vs. Donna North football game is a historic, non-district rivalry game played between the two schools early on in the season.
The game was not played in the 2020 season due to the shortened season caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Per Donna Redskins’ Twitter, the team will continue with practice tomorrow morning.
There is no word on if the game will be rescheduled for later in the season.
The Donna ISD Athletic Department released the following statement:
In an abundance of caution, with the health and safety of our playeres and staff at the forefront of this and every decision, we have cancelled the Donna High School vs. Donna North High School pre-season varsity football game on August 27th.
We feel this is in the best interest of all students and their families. Studens on both teams have worked especially hard to get to this point, and we do not want to jeopardize any opportunities for district play. We expect this to be a short-term delay and plan to resume the following week.
- Gabby Petito disappearance: Police don’t have missing woman’s phone, have received 1K+ tips
- Amber Alert issued for twelve-year-old out of Converse, Texas
- Official: US to expel Haitians from border, fly to Haiti
- CBP closes international bridge in response to migrant influx in Del Rio
- High School Football – WEEK 4 | FINAL scoreboard