The woman convicted of killing Tejano superstar Selena Quintanilla asked for a new trial earlier this year.
In a petition filed in Federal court on March 28, Yolanda Saldivar requested a new trial based on her belief that the prosecutor withheld evidence that could have proved her innocence. Specifically, Saldivar says the prosecutor, Carlos Valdez, presented white tennis shoes and a black baseball cap during a media interview in March of 2018.
Saldivar says those items were not introduced to the jury as evidence. She claims not only does that violate her right to due process, it deprived her of the ability to provide an adequate defense.
The filing is Saldivar’s second petition for a writ of habeas corpus. It was denied because anyone filing a second such petition must first seek permission from the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. Saldivar mistakenly filed hers directly with the United States District Court in Waco.
In an interview with Radar Online, Saldivar questioned why the defense would withhold the evidence if it proved she committed the murder.
Saldivar has not filed any petition with the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.