Just one week after a mass shooting at an El Paso Walmart, authorities have arrested two individuals, one being a teenager, for posting threats on social medias targeting two Valley Walmarts.
“It’s just hitting closer and closer to home and now we have to watch out when I’m taking my kids to HEB or Walmart,” says Rebecca Hernandez, a San Benito resident.
Hernandez, as well as others, are on high alert after a threat was posted on social media Saturday morning targeting the Walmart in Harlingen.
“Honestly, if I would have known I wouldn’t have brought my kids with me,” said one shopper.
According to a release, police were made aware of the threat on social media at around 4 a.m and worked through the morning to locate the suspect. He was arrested at his home and is facing charges of making a terroristic threat.
Earlier in the week, a 13-year-old boy in Weslaco faced similar charges after he posted a social media threat targeting a Walmart in the city.
CBS 4 reached out to Walmart who shared the following statement:
Thank you to local law enforcement for their partnership and diligence to keep our stores safe. The safety of our associates and customers is our top priority. We take threats like this seriously and have added additional security as appropriate.
As law enforcement agencies continue to patrol and monitor the safety of the community, many say they welcome the extra security.
Harlingen police say they have yet to confirm the identity of the suspect they arrested today as he has given multiple names to police. He is expected to appear in court over the weekend.