PHARR, Texas – Eight Pharr-San Juan-Alamo ISD (PSJA ISD) fine arts students participated in the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) area auditions held Jan. 10 and earned All-State membership for band and choir.
Beginning each fall, over 70,000 high school students across the state audition in their TMEA Region. Individual musicians perform selected music for a panel of judges who rank each instrument or voice part. A select group of musicians advance to compete against musicians from other Regions in their TMEA Area.
The highest-ranking musicians judged at the TMEA Area competitions qualify to perform in one of 15 Texas All-State Bands, Orchestras, and Choirs. These All-State ensembles rehearse for three days, directed by nationally recognized conductors, and perform on the closing day of the annual TMEA Clinic/Convention.
Students who earned All-State TMEA membership:
- Caden Karr – 10th grade student at PSJA ECHS
- Christian Hernandez – 12th grade student at PSJA North ECHS
- Jesse Gallegos – 12th grade student at PSJA North ECHS
- Jesse Gonzales – 12th grade student at PSJA Memorial ECHS
- Alexa Ochoa – 10th grade student at PSJA North ECHS
- Alexis Palomin – 11th grade student at PSJA North ECHS
- Catherine di Grazia – 11th grade student at PSJA North ECHS
- Joben Teran – 12th grade student at PSJA North ECHS
These students will perform with other All-State students from across Texas at the TMEA Convention to be held in San Antonio in February 12-15.