Valley family loses home due to electrical fire

electrical fire.png

A Valley family has lost their home due to a fire caused by incorrect electrical wiring, according to the Hidalgo County Fire Marshal’s Office.

A house fire that took place earlier this week has left several people homeless.

Yaritza Diaz and her family came home on Wednesday, Feb. 20, to find their house in flames.

“We feel like it’s gone. Everything is gone,” says Diaz

Diaz says she was told by Hidalgo County Fire Marshals that it was an electrical fire caused by incorrect wiring.

“I really don’t know how to explain. It’s just hard. It’s like giving up my life here. This is everything to us,” Diaz says.

According to the Hidalgo County Fire Marshal’s Office, the Diaz family was sharing electricity with a house 150 feet away. John Franz with the fire marshal’s office reminds the public to be on the safe side and not share electricity as well as contracting licensed electricians.

The American Red Cross tells CBS 4 that the family did receive financial assistance following the fire.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

COVID-19 SAFETY TIPS

COVID Tip: Wash Your Hands

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID Tip: Wash Your Hands"

COVID Tip: Cover When Coughing and Sneezing

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID Tip: Cover When Coughing and Sneezing"

COVID Tip: Disinfecting

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID Tip: Disinfecting"

COVID Tip: Cover Your Mouth

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID Tip: Cover Your Mouth"

COVID Tip: Avoid Close Contact

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID Tip: Avoid Close Contact"

COVID-19 Tip: Disinfect Areas

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID-19 Tip: Disinfect Areas"

COVID-19 Tip: Wash Hands Often

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID-19 Tip: Wash Hands Often"

ValleyCentral App Links

App Store Link
Google Play Link

Inside RGV Politics

More Inside RGV Politics
More Throwback Thursday