Friday morning was said to have been the coldest in the lower Rio Grande Valley since January 2, 2015.
The National Weather Service said it felt like 35 degrees with the winds. The National Weather Service wants to remind you at home to inspect your space heater before turning it on. If you haven’t used it in a while, it could be a hazard when we prepare to fight these surprising cold temperatures.
Barry Goldsmith, National Weather Service Meteorologist said, “If you are at home though and you haven’t used a space heater in a while make sure you check it out to make sure it is operating the less we want to hear about is a space heater sparking and causing a fire at home, we’ve heard that before.
For the homeless people, there are some shelters that are open for that reason. The main reason is that it’s been so warm so hot all the way back to the summer all the way to early December, the body gets shocked into the cold weather, if you’re out without protection it feels even colder than it would if there had been a gradual cool down in the fall or winter.”