SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas – In a move by South Padre Island, the city council votes to limit the number of patrons at bars and restaurants.
Mayor McNulty reads the following:
“To our citizens, business owners and visitors. The COVID-19 global pandemic is real. We as a city must take all the appropriate action to prevent the spread of this virus. It is the responsibility of every American to aid in the prevention and the spread of this virus. Our hope is that the federal and state government, that by imposing these measures quickly and firmly We will bring this national emergency to an end quickly and help revitalize the economy. [And that] We all enjoy as soon as possible.
Therefore the following mandatory restrictions ordered by Texas Health Code, section 122.006 That a city can adopt rules to protect the health of the persons in the municipality. The following will be mandated at 5:00 PM today.
- With one exception gathering and on the beach will be limited to 10 persons or less.
- Restaurants and bars will limit their seating by 50% of their current configuration with a maximum of 50 patrons per Dining room.
- Restaurants and bars must close by 10 PM last calls at 9:45 PM.
- Restaurants will be allowed to designate a parking space for curbside delivery.
- Drive-through for food service is encouraged.
- All dance floors in bars and restaurants are closed.
- Live music of more than two persons and all DJ entertainment are not allowed.
- Restaurants and bars have a minimum distance of 8 feet between tables.
- All food truck permits will be suspended indefinitely.
- Hotels are required to completely sanitize all touch services before check in each individual room.
- All vacation rentals are required completely sanitized all touch areas within the unit, sanitize all glassware, plate, servingware, Silverware and cooking utensils.
- Any restaurants that have a buffet service station must have a server at each station and there will be no self-service buffets.
- Disposable glassware must be used in place of reusable glassware this is effective at 5 PM 3/19.
- Self-service drink dispensers are closed in all businesses.
- Straws of any types are not allowed, condiments for beverages are not allowed.
- Table top in self-service condiment stations are not allowed.
- Movie theaters in place of worship to limit their audience to less than 50 persons and will institute social distancing at a minimum of space of 6 foot apart.
- Gas stations must sanitize the self-service portions of the equipment at a minimum every hour preferably after each service sanitizer must be available at the pumps.
- The Island metro must restrict available ridership by 50% of the available seats and will institute social distance in between riders the island metro will sanitize the bus before the start of any routes.
- All beach and community porta potty’s will be closed until two times a day cleaning and hand sanitizers are available.
- There will be no congregation of more than 50% of the public or private.
Failure to abide by this mandatory restriction could face a class C misdemeanor and up to a $500 fine per violation per day.
The peace officers, the city of South Padre Island health inspectors, code enforcement the ordinance officer’s, inspectors are hereby authorize to enforce this order.
In the end it will be impossible to know if we overreacted or did too much. But it will be quite apparent if we under reacted or did too little. These times are tough on our community. It is important to stick together. It is important to take care of our neighbors. We’ll be stronger in the end together. Thank you all.”