A warning for parents after Edinburg Police arrested a man with THC-laced candy.
Edinburg Police arrested 20-year-old Edwin Mendoza after a search warrant was conducted on Friday at 3119 Stuart Rd. in Edinburg.
So, with Halloween around the corner, some parents like Teresa King of Edinburg, are now hesitant to take their kids out to trick or treat especially after seeing how deceiving the THC-laced candies that Edinburg Police Department found.
“I couldn’t believe it because just by glancing at it,” said King. “It looked just like that Nerds candy or any other candy that you see at the counters at your local store.”
Seeing the THC-laced candies has parents like King concerned, especially since trick or treating is a family tradition.
“It’s heartbreaking because these kids see these packaging, they don’t really take a look at them. They just grab them, open them up and that’s it,” said King.
Even if no evidence show that Mercado intended to distribute to kids, King believes the product can still get into the wrong hands.
“They don’t realize that you know what it’s going to do and how it’s going to affect other people, especially the kids because I mean, that’s just wrong,” said King.
That’s why Dr. Martin Garza of DLC Pediatrics advises parents to wait until they get home to eat the candies, but also read the labels as consuming these THC-infused products can be harmful to children.
“They can have sleepiness, drowsiness, they have a lot of issues with concentration, they can have hallucinations as well,” said Garza. “And depending on the amount that they ingest, they can also have seizures.”
King said in reality it’s hard to keep the candies away from children but advises parents to hold on to their child’s bags.
“If you’re going to be trick or treating with your kids, I know it’s hard, you have probably more than one child, but go up to the door with your child, hold the bag, don’t let them hold that bag,” said King.
Dr. Garza also suggests buying your own candy so once you get home, you can swap the candies that your child got while trick or treating with the ones you’ve purchased.