EDITOR’S NOTE: This story is no longer active.
HARLINGEN, Texas (ValleyCentral) — School districts across the RGV are announcing delays and cancelations to class Friday due to weather conditions.
A strong cold front is forecasted to push through the Rio Grande Valley Thursday morning.
Right around dawn, Thursday, the leading edge of a cold air mass will slice through Deep South Texas firing off a few showers, shifting winds to out of the north, and setting the area up for a couple of miserable wet and cold days.
From Thursday night to Friday morning the Valley will experience gusty north winds, temperatures falling through the 30s, that wind and cold combo will make it feel like 22 degrees on your skin Friday morning.
Below are the latest plans from school districts:
- University of Cosmetology (UCAS) in McAllen, Harlingen, and La Joya staff to report at 9:30 a.m. and students report at 10:00 a.m.
- All IDEA schools in the RGV will have a two-hour delayed start on Friday. Classes will begin at 9:45 a.m.
- Edinburg CISD
- Elementary and Middle School will start at 9 a.m.
- High School students will start at 10 a.m.
- Staff will report by 8:45 a.m.
- bus routes will begin one hour later than regular schedule
- South Texas ISD
- Classes will begin at 9:30 a.m.
- Staff wil report to class by 9 a.m.
- Hidalgo ISD
- Elementary schools at 9 a.m.
- Secondary schools at 9:45 a.m.
- Bus routes will begin at 8:25 a.m.
- Employees will report at 8:30 a.m.
- Vanguard Academy
- The academy will be closing shcool and offices. Classes will resume Monday. Jan. 24, 2022.
- Mercedes ISD
- Class will begin at 10 a.m. for all students
- Bus routes will begin at 8 a.m.
- La Joya ISD
- Classes and outdoor extra-curricular activities will be cancelled for Friday, Jan. 21. Indoor varsity events will continue as planned. Classes will resume on Jan. 24.
- Mission CISD
- Classes and all extra-curricular activities will be cancelled for Friday, Jan. 21.
- Edcouch-Elsa ISD
- Schools will have a two-hour delayed start on Friday, Jan. 21. Staff and students will report two hours later than usual.
- Donna ISD
- Elementary classes will begin at 9:15 a.m.
- Middle school classes will begin at 9:45 a.m.
- High school classes will begin at 10 a.m.
- PSJA ISD
- Classes are cancelled for Friday, Jan. 21.
- Auxiliary team members will report on a two-hour delay, at 10 a.m.
- Weslaco ISD
- Elementary schools will begin classes at 9:45 a.m.
- Middle schools will begin classes at 9:35 a.m.
- High schools will begin classes at 10 a.m.
- McAllen ISD
- Elementary schools will begin at 9 a.m.
- Middle schools at 9:30 a.m.
- High schools at 9:45 a.m.
- Bus routes will be delayed by one hour
- South Texas College
- Business operations will begin at 9 a.m. // Students are not affected as classes remain online.
- Sharyland ISD
- All in-person and remote instruction classes will be cancelled on Friday.
- UTRGV facilities will open at 10 a.m. on Friday. However, remote learning classes will go on as scheduled even before 10 a.m.
- TSTC – Harlingen
Will delay opening. Classes and regular business will begin at 10 a.m. Faculty, students, and staff are asked to check TSTC.edu and TSTC social media for updates.
- Santa Maria ISD
- Students will begin class at 9:30 a.m.
- Teachers and Staff will report to work at 9 a.m.
- Brownsville ISD
- Elementary Schools at 9 a.m.
- Middles schools at 8:40 a.m.
- High Schools at 9:45 a.m.
- Bus routes will also start at a later time.
- School staff will be reporting at the usual time.
- Point Isabel ISD
- Elementary school will begin classes at 10:40 a.m.
- Middle school will begin classes at 10:45 a.m.
- High school will begin classes at 11:10 a.m.
- La Feria ISD
- All classes will start at 9:30 a.m.
- Bus routes will start at 8:00 a.m.
- Parents can drop off children starting at 9:00 a.m.
- After school programs and athletic activities have been canceled
- Harlingen CISD
- All school start time and bus routes will be delayed by two hours
- The school day will end at the usually scheduled time
*Rio Grande City Grulla ISD will be allowing students to wear warms up on Thursday, Jan. 20 and Friday, Jan 21.
- Roma ISD
- Buses will run two hours later
- Elementary classes will begin at 9:45 a.m.
- Middle school classes will begin at 10 a.m.
- High school classes will begin at 10:30 a.m.
- I & G center classes will begin at 10:30 a.m.
- Lyford CISD
- Class will begin at 9 a.m.
- Bus routes will be delayed by an hour and a half
- Raymondville ISD
- Bus routes and classes will be delayed on hour. Classes will start at 9 a.m.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This story will continue to be updated.