Four dead by carbon monoxide poisoning caused by generator

Local News

Edinburg, Texas (KVEO)—Edinburg police department announced Tuesday that four family members died by carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a generator.

According to a news release, police responded to the 2000 block of Woodstone Dr. in reference to a welfare concern.

When police arrived, they discovered four family members dead. Officers determined there was no foul play in this death and that it was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator found inside the home.

A 12 year old girl was rushed to the hospital, according to police, and is in critical condition.

During a press conference held by the city of Edinburg, police Chief Cesar Torres said the ages of the family was 33 years old, 34, 11 and 17.

During the investigation, police discovered another family in the neighborhood that had a generator inside the home.

On Tuesday morning, police was called a generator placed inside the house on a separate occasion. Aid was provided to the family and they survived.

“We want to inform our community, that generators are not meant to be inside a home when they they are running.” said Chief Torres. “They release carbon monoxide, which is lethal and dangerous.”

The Texas Department of Public Safety released a list of safety tips when using portable generators.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

COVID-19 SAFETY TIPS

COVID Tip: Wash Your Hands

COVID Tip: Cover When Coughing and Sneezing

COVID Tip: Disinfecting

COVID Tip: Cover Your Mouth

COVID Tip: Avoid Close Contact

COVID-19 Tip: Disinfect Areas

COVID-19 Tip: Wash Hands Often

ValleyCentral App Links

App Store Link
Google Play Link
More Throwback Thursday