County hopes to reunite lost dogs that were held in warehouse

dogs.JPG

County hopes to reunite lost dogs that were held in warehouse (Source: KGBT)

Following the shocking discovery of close to 300 animals in a crowded, unsanitary warehouse late Monday night, county officials are hoping to reunite some of the dogs with their original owners. 

Cameron County officials tell CBS 4, a veterinarian finished examining all 270 dogs and 1 cat Wednesday and the department has established a plan. 

“We’re getting a lot of phone calls from the public asking if we have their lost dog in our facilities,” said Esmeralda Guajardo, Cameron County Health Administrator. 

The county created reunification forms Wednesday afternoon that they hope will give some hope to families who may have lost their pet in the last few months. 

“We will have a form that we are going to ask dog owners to fill out, it will include their contact information, type of dog, height, weight, any unique identifiers.”

Officials say if the picture matches, they will put the dog aside and call the owner to come and identify it for themselves. 

“The public should start putting their information together, chip identification and pictures. Without that picture we can’t make that connection,” said Guajardo. 

But there are some dogs that don’t have homes. 

“It’s so heartbreaking to see that,” said Guajardo. 

Neighbors we spoke to say they heard dogs barking for hours endlessly and all times of the day and night. 

“I mean it would be nice for them to get a second chance or an opportunity, like adoption,” said Jose Vargas,  who heard about the animal seizures and resides near the warehouse.

That’s exactly what the county plans to do. 

The Cameron County Shelter is closed as the 270 dogs have been sent there for now, but Monday doors will open at 4 p.m. for anyone looking to rescue one of them.

“We really need the public’s help at this point, we want to invite everyone to come out here Monday, adopt a dog, give it a good home,” said Guajardo. 

About 75% of the dogs found will be put up for adoption, the other 25% will be sent to a humane society to receive treatment because of the poor conditions they suffered in, according to Guajardo.

“There were cages on top of each other, piled on top, some of the cages had not been cleaned for a while and the warehouse had two garage doors that I imagine were closed during the day. With this heat, it must have been unbearable, limited water, limited food,” recalls Guajardo of the warehouse seizure. 

The forms to pick up lost dogs can be submitted electronically online or dropped off at the Cameron County Health Department. Click here to download the form

“We’re hoping to have a lot of re-connections” said Guajardo. 

The county is also asking for the public’s help with donations. 

If you’d like to stop by to donate you can stop by the Cameron County Annex located at 1390 W. Expressway 83 in San Benito or at the Dancy Building at 1100 E. Monroe in Brownsville. 

If you’d like to adopt a dog you can go to the Cameron County Animal Shelter on Monday at 4:00 pm. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

COVID-19 SAFETY TIPS

COVID Tip: Wash Your Hands

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID Tip: Wash Your Hands"

COVID Tip: Cover When Coughing and Sneezing

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID Tip: Cover When Coughing and Sneezing"

COVID Tip: Disinfecting

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID Tip: Disinfecting"

COVID Tip: Cover Your Mouth

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID Tip: Cover Your Mouth"

COVID Tip: Avoid Close Contact

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID Tip: Avoid Close Contact"

COVID-19 Tip: Disinfect Areas

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID-19 Tip: Disinfect Areas"

COVID-19 Tip: Wash Hands Often

Thumbnail for the video titled "COVID-19 Tip: Wash Hands Often"

ValleyCentral App Links

App Store Link
Google Play Link

Inside RGV Politics

More Inside RGV Politics
More Throwback Thursday