MCALLEN, Texas – McAllen ISD sharing in a press release that all of the district’s high schools have been recognized among America’s best. Those schools are:
- Achieve Early College High School
- McAllen Memorial High School
- McAllen High School
- James “Nikki” Rowe High
- Lamar Academy
This is the sixth straight year McAllen ISD has had high schools recognized by either U.S. News & World Report or The Washington Post, said the district’s press release.
The ranking methodology draws from data for the 2017-18 school year, using both state and federal datasets. In addition, the College Board and International Baccalaureate provided data on their respective college-prep programs, Advanced Placement and IB.
These are the six indicators of school quality used to calculate the rankings:
- College readiness, based on the proportions of 12th grade students who took and passed AP and/or IB exams.
- College curriculum breadth, based on proportions of 12th grade students who took and passed AP and/or IB exams in multiple content areas.
- Math and reading proficiency, based on student performance on state-required tests.
- Math and reading performance, based on whether performance on state assessments exceeded expectations given the school’s proportion of underserved students.
- Underserved student performance, based on how black, Hispanic and low-income students performed on state assessments compared with those who are not underserved in the state.
- Graduation rates, based on the proportion of students who entered ninth grade in 2013-14 and graduated four years later.
The release concludes with a growing list of accomplishments by McAllen ISD students, teachers, and staff this year.
- Earned state’s highest accountability rating, an “A,” for 2 straight years.
- District awarded a Post-Secondary Readiness Distinction 3 straight years.
- Earned Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas (School FIRST) for 16th time in 17 years with perfect score the last 8 years.
- McAllen ISD is a national Best Community for Music Education (8 straight years), placing the district among the nation’s top 6% of school districts.
- All eligible schools recognized among America’s Healthiest Schools since 2014.