Editor’s note: This story has been updated.

Two boys and their father are recovering after they were shocked by an air-conditioning unit Tuesday afternoon.

The incident happened at the 300 block of Carol Street in San Juan.

Derek,8, was playing with his 15-year-old brother, Dominic, in their backyard pool when Derek got out of the pool to pick up a nearby water hose. When Derek balanced himself on the air-conditioning unit to pick it up, though, the evening took a turn for the worse.

The air-conditioning unit shocked Derek as he touched it, then as Dominic pulled his brother away from the unit, he too, was shocked.

“He ran screaming inside to the kitchen with loud, big screams,” said the boys’ grandfather Tiburcio Castillo. “That’s when my son got scared, and ran outside.”

When the boys’ father, Freddy Castillo, heard their yells and tried to help them, he too, was shocked as he picked them up.

It wasn’t until Tiburcio ran out that he was able to get the three the help they needed.

“I, too, grabbed the unit to bend down to look at my son, and that’s when I saw that there was electricity running through and I acted, with the shocks and everything, and unplugged the unit,” said Tiburcio Castillo. “But my son already had heat blisters all over. I moved him and tried to shake him awake, but his eyes had already gone white.”

After about two minutes of CPR, Tiburcio says his son finally came to.

The two boys and their father were rushed to the hospital, as they had all lost consciousness, and had several injuries from the electricity coming off from the air-conditioning unit.

It is still unknown why the boys were shocked in the first place. The Castillo family has since turned off the air-conditioning unit, and is having an electrician check it for problems.

Dominic was released from the hospital Wednesday afternoon, but his little brother and father are still being held for observation.

According to the United States Department of Labor, there are several ways you can keep this from happening to you:

  • Use caution when handling any sort of electrical wires
  • Never operate equipment while you are standing in water
  • Have a qualified electrician inspect electrical equipment that has gotten wet before trying to turn it on or off.