Editor’s note: This story will be updated.
HARLINGEN, Texas—Several cities have begun or will be distributing out sandbags ahead of expected weather that may impact the Rio Grande Valley this week.
Plenty of tropical moisture is in place along with an upper-level system tracking overhead that will aid in periods of very heavy rainfall from now until at least Thursday evening.
Rainfall amounts of 2 to 4 inches with some areas picking up 4 to 6 inches will be likely through Friday.
Below is a list of the cities that are currently distributing or offering sandbags:
- Hidalgo County Precinct 1
Hidalgo County Precinct 1 will be distributing free sandbags in Mercedes on Tuesday, July 7, 2021, from 10:00 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The city of Alton will be giving out sandbags at the Development Center warehouse at 416 Alton Boulevard from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on Wednesday. Residents must bring their own bags and shovel.
- La Joya
Sandbags will be available at noon on July 7. The City of La Joya is offering sand to fill up sandbags. Residents must take their own shovel. Residents may begin filling up sandbags at noon in front of city hall. If you have any questions, call 581-7002. Sand will be available at the entrance of city hall.
Sandbag distribution is set for Wednesday, July 7th at 10:00 a.m.
The City of Mission has opted to open a self-serve station for sandbags at Lions Park (1500 Kika de la Garza loop) beginning Tuesday.
The sandbag distribution begins at noon and will run through 7 p.m. Tuesday.
For the rest of the week, it will be open from 8 a.m. through 7 p.m. weather permitting. This is only open to Mission residents.
- Port Isabel
The City of Port Isabel will distribute sandbags at the Public Works Department (217 East Hickman) on July 7, 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
– Limit six per household, eight per business.
- San Benito
– The City of San Benito will be providing a self-serve sandbag distribution at the Neuman Building located b at the San Benito Fairground (551 Cesar Gonzalez Parkway) starting Tuesday.
– Empty sandbags and shovels will be provided.
– The sandbag distribution will be open from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday.
– For the rest of the week, distribution will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. A photo ID and a San Benito utility bill must be presented.
– Commissioner Precinct 3 Warehouse will be providing pre-filled sandbags, the distribution will be located at 26945 FM 510 on July 7 beginning at 8 a.m.
The City of Harlingen will be distributing pre-filled sandbags to residents and businesses at the Public Works Facility located at 404 South 54th Street starting Tuesday.
Residents are required to provide an ID with a Harlingen address verification as well as a water bill.
The sandbag distribution will be available on to Wednesday, starting at 7 a.m.
– The City of Brownsville will be distributing pre-filled sandbags to residents and businesses at Morningside Park located at 1207 South Central Avenue as well as Monte Bella Park located at 252 W. Alton Gloor Blvd.
– Residents are required to provide an ID with a Brownsville Public Utilities Board bill.
– The sandbag distribution will be available from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday.
– Residents are limited to eight bags, businesses may receive up to 10 bags or while supplies last.
– Commissioner Precinct 1 Warehouse will be providing pre-filled sandbags, the distribution will be located at 2050 South Browne Avenue on July 7 beginning at 8 a.m.
– Commissioner Precinct 2 Warehour will be providing pre-filled sandbags, the distribution will be located at 7092 Old Alice Road on July 7 beginning at 8 a.m.
- La Feria
– Commissioner Precinct 4 will be providing pre-filled sandbags, the distribution will be located at 26623 White Ranch Road on July 7 beginning at 8 a.m.
Sandbag distribution may be discontinued at the discretion of the county. Precincts will remain prepared with sandbags should new weather conditions arise.
Sandbag distribution will take place Wednesday, from 10 a.m. through 6 p.m. at the 14 Acres location. 632 w Eisenhower St.
Please bring your ID & Utility Bill
Five bags per resident